The Identification Required for Children to Fly

Most vacations entail traveling on airlines for some families. As such, it’s important to plan the vacation first. Part of planning involves obtaining tickets and everything else that will ensure a worthwhile and safe experience for kids. For instance, it’s necessary to ensure proper seat assignments so that kids sit close to parents. Parents should also have the necessary travel documentation for family members. But, what documents do you need to fly with your children? Here are some of the identification documents you need to fly with children. 


The Transport Security Administration is the government agency in the U.S that protects the transportation system in the country. This agency mandates parents or adult passengers to have a valid photo ID at all security checkpoints. The ID should contain the date of birth, name, gender, and the expiry date of documents like a driver’s license. Nevertheless, minors below the age of 18 are not required to carry an ID. They just need a boarding pass to go through security. 

International Travel 

All passengers should have a valid passport when taking international flights. These include children. A valid passport identifies its holder while showing their citizenship. All applications for passports should include a Form DS-11. They should also have proof of U.S citizenship, a passport photo, and a government-issued photo ID. Minors below the age of 16 years should have a proof of relationship with the guardian or parent. They should also have parental consent when traveling. 


Air carriers have different policies. But, domestic flights do not require adults and minors to identify themselves beyond having the documents that the TSA specifies. Thus, children don’t require an additional ID. Some carriers give an exception when a child’s age allows for a discounted or free ticket. In such cases, airlines require proof of the age of the child. This can be provided by a passport or birth certificate. When a kid travels alone, the adult responsible must provide their contact details of the person at the dropping off and the one picking up the child. They must also show their photo ID. Nevertheless, some airlines have different policies. Therefore, talk to your airline in advance. 

Also, some countries need a notarized consent letter for traveling with kids if both parents do not accompany them. This letter should include the parent(s) name, flight and destination details, travel date, name of the accompanying adults, and contact information of the parents. If divorced, parents might be required to provide a custody agreement copy. Talk to your embassy if you intend to travel with a minor for more information. 

Twitter Digg Delicious Stumbleupon Technorati Facebook Email